Tuesday, November 4, 2008

God Bless America

I'm writing this as one of the most important processes we have is unfolding: electing a new president.  I was so proud of our American citizens, as I watched the news at 6 am to see lines of 50 plus people assembled ready to cast their ballot.  In fact, Neil called at 6:15 to say the line snaked around Korn School, he had to return to vote after work.
I get frustrated at people who bitch and moan about our elected officials, when they themselves have not taken the time out of their busy first Tuesday in November to do what our forefathers  fought for as do our current women and men in uniform fight for. Cast a ballot to decide who governs this country.  This was the first Election Day I actually felt REALLY proud.  It was refreshing to see droves of people participate in the process.
I'm afraid the election will not turn out the way I'd like.  But, we are soooo lucky to have the right to vote.  I sometimes think of how different my life would have been if I were born in Iraq, or some other country that did not always (or never will) embrace democracy.  My candidate might not be the winner, but if it weren't for his sacrifice and that of millions of others in the past 200 plus years, where would we be?

1 comment:

TommyMac71 said...

Great post. I hope we continue this level of interest in our new president. let's keep him honest, but if 80 percent of us can turn out, we can certainly be heard every day also