Wednesday, November 26, 2008

More Than Thanksgiving This Year


November 27th isn't just Thanksgiving this year, it is also Elizabeth's First Birthday. Time flies when you're raising children!  Exactly a year ago today, I dropped off our annual Christmas cards in the mail.  Talk about nesting! I had no idea what the next day would bring, I wasn't due until December 11th.
A year later, Lizzie continues to keep us on our toes.  She is especially fond of wires and outlets, as well as toilets and toilet paper.  She can find the one item in a freshly vacuumed room that does not belong in her mouth before I can blink an eye. I am continually saying to her: "Your sister wasn't like this!" But then again, I was 10 years younger, and back to work after 3 months. I'm thinking God gives parents amnesia of certain things in order to keep populating the world.  What normal person would do this more than once?
I'm glad to be a victim of God's cunning ways. This past year has been so gratifying. Even with all the sleep I have lost, the pain in my back, and the continual worry of choking my little one has given me, she has given Neil and I an immeasurable amount of joy and laughter. Her first smile in the morning (yes, STILL toothless!), the way she laughs at Erin, and the smiles we see on Leo's face when he is around her are just so priceless.
I'm frustrated by my lack of employment.  But this Thanksgiving, I am so grateful to have this time with Elizabeth that I didn't get with Erin.  As we head toward Christmas, I will try to cherish the times spent baking and decorating with my children, and not focus on the negatives and stresses of the holidays. We are so blessed in what we have. I am thankful my husband has a job, we are all healthy, we have a warm house and food, and we have each other. 
Happy Birthday, Elizabeth! Thank you, God, for this sweet little angel!

No comments: