Thursday, October 9, 2008

Girls' Night Out


It's not what you think.

It's not a "Sex In The City" Cosmo-fest.  It is a tradition my Mom came up with when I was about 11 or so.  I was An Only Girl.  So, to escape my 2 younger brothers,Mom and I would go out.  It might have been out to a movie, ice cream, a burger and fries.  It usually happened after some major disappointment.  The two nights I remember were when I lost out on a part in the school play in sixth grade, and then several years later in college when one of my best friends died of cancer.  Yes, the latter was the bigger blow, but at age 11, minor mishaps equals crisis.  Girls' Night Out made me feel special, loved and cared for.

Erin and I used to do Girls Night Out a lot.  It was the 2 of us for many years.  I left my husband just before she turned 2; divorced just before her 3rd birthday.  She was my Only Girl.  She was The Shining Star, the Only Star in my constellation.    Girls' Night Out (and Girls Night In...movies and pedicures!) usually were not the result of disappointments, just the desire to spend time with my daughter.  Most of the disappointments were mine, not Erin's.  Erin,  unlike myself at her age, is very comfortable with herself.  She is well liked, has many interests and talents, and she DID get the lead in the School Play this year.  So our outings are celebratory, not an excuse to eat to comfort a hurt or depression.

Now, there are quite a few more stars in the Big Mary Cool Universe.  Erin is no longer The Only Girl, but The Big Sister.  Erin actually took me out, to escape Lizzie, Neil, and Leo, bringing me to The Lion King this spring.  She wanted to see Wicked, but changed the tickets, knowing I really wanted to see the majesty of The Lion King.  As the show opened, I was in total awe, of the scenery, the music, and the beautiful young woman next to me.  I had to do a Double Take...is this my little Erin?

Our fabulous trip to the Great White Way was our last Girls' Outing.  As we scurry around, running from activity to activity, Erin and I need to get back to our "dates" together, so she can feel as special as I did with my Mom.  She may not be the Only Girl anymore, but she is The First Girl, and that is a person I am so proud and privileged to call My Daughter.

No comments: