Monday, March 9, 2009

Woo Hoo! The celebrations of old foagies like me!

I know I'm old now.   Make that mature.

When I was 10, joy was a new episode of The Hardy Boy Mysteries with my man, Shaun P. Cassidy (anyone know what the "P" stands for...without consulting IMDb???)  Today, joy is in lab values.

My doctor, Dr. Brad Wilkinson, left me a message, and called my cell phone with awesome news: I dropped my total cholesterol from 240 to 218, and my "bad" cholesterol (I think it's the HDL?  I'm a nurse, and can NEVER get the two straight!!) went from 157 to 138.  So, no medication for Big Mary Cool!  But, the best, was in both instances, he said: "I'm proud of you".  He's VERY tough on me, so those words are priceless!

When I find myself comparing cholesterol values, and cholesterol busting diet tips with my younger brothers, I think: "Wow, we are OLD now".  But, we aren't.  We just are mature enough to know: "Hey, if we don't straighten this out, we could have lots of issues later, or drop dead."  Our grandfather died of a heart attack in his 40s, Grandma McFeeley was diabetic, our Dad had triple bypass surgery 2 years ago.  

Yes, I want to be "cut" in 6 months.  But, I also want to see my girls get married, and give me grandchildren.  I want to be Ryan's cool 80 plus year old Aunt.  It is hard to drag my a$$ out of bed at 4:45 am (yes, on work days...), but, I think of the long term as opposed to the hot swim suit (notice, I did not use the term "bikini"; check in with me in 2 months!)  And nothing beats hearing my doctor say :"I'm proud of you".  Except the fact I'M proud of me.

No comments: